[Note] Hello - this is an old post that I’ve moved over from my Tumblr. I’ve just copied the words and pictures across.
I made another Tamarack! Grainline released a pattern update which added an option to close it with snaps instead of hook and eyes. I like my first Tamarack, I’ve got a lot of wear out of it, but it was quite poorly finished (especially the inner seams) and I wasn’t happy with how the front pockets began to gape forward from having my hands in them.
There was also something a bit dog walkery about the fabric.
In the last version of this jacket I used the wrong width binding. It turns out that the instructions describe a 1/2″ double fold bias binding, but John Lewis seems to measure bias binding by the total width, so in John Lewis language, you want 1 inch bias tape, not a 1/2″. This might be a US/UK thing. It’s not interesting, but it is true.
SNAPS. I’d never used snaps before but inserting them is heaps of fun and the look really profesh so I’ll definitely use them again.
Yeah I really like this coat.