[Note] Hello - this is an old post that I’ve moved over from my Tumblr. I’ve just copied the words and pictures across.
I think this might be my best sewing to date. After my last Archer being a bit long and a bit the-wrong-fabric, I finally managed to track down some brushed cotton in a pattern I didn’t hate. You would think, given how popular check shirts are, finding nice fabric for them would be easy. Nope. There are still a bunch of mistakes in this shirt. I got annoyed with the pockets so I re-did them but they’re still a bit wonk. The yoke is somehow wrong (see how it’s not flat around my shoulders?) but I’m not sure what I did exactly. And one of the sleeves is about 7mm longer than the other. The thing about sewing is not getting everything perfect but knowing which mistakes are going to be amplified on the finished garment (these you should un-pick and re-do) and which you’ll be able to live with or cover up.
Fabric: http://www.raystitch.co.uk/fabric/heavier-weight-fabrics-wool-canvas-velvet-cord/brannock-and-patek-woven-basics.html. I am in love with Raystitch. A lot of fabric shops are staffed by aloof bored people who hate you, not Raystitch though, those guys have a brilliant online service and are equally helpful IRL as I bumble about mumbling words things I don’t fully understand.
Pattern: https://grainlinestudio.com/shop/women/archer-button-up-shirt-pdf/. Even though I had already made this pattern I still went right back to the sew along (https://grainlinestudio.com/archer-sewalong/)