[Note] Hello - this is an old post that I’ve moved over from my Tumblr. I’ve just copied the words and pictures across.
Hello! I’m not dead, I just moved house and that wiped out my time to sew for a while. No matter though, here are some shorts I made in July that I’ve finally gotten round to photographing on this chilly November afternoon.
Last time I made this pattern I very wisely noted that the busy design of the fabric hides some poor tailoring (excess fabric in the crotch) and in order to make these in a plainer fabric I’d need to address that.
Last time, I made a size 16, and graded down to a 12/14 at the waist, which may have been the cause of the excess crotch fabric. This time I cut a straight size 14 muslin and then pinched in the waist as a v1 prototype.
As you can see, there is some pulling from the front to the back in these shorts.
From v1 I made the following adjustments for v2
More ease to outer hip/butt seam Remove outer front pleat + transfer to front waist to compensate Remove length in front crotch Remove wedge at centre back Here is a picture of my next version.
I take these photos because it’s hard to see how the fit is without contorting my body into funny shapes unless I take a photo. They’re also handy to compare with other random bums-with-fit-issues on the internet. Of course, these photos are also embarrassing for a variety of reasons, but I wanted to document the various prototypes I went through so I guess we’ll all just have to deal with it.
Back to the prototype. The pulling is a lot better in these, as you can see. In my notes I have written “A weird shape: smooth curve and remove some ease in hip. Straighten the hem.”
So that gets us to here: